Pets love summer too! We love the outdoors and having fun with our families, but we can get into a bit of trouble in all of the excitement. You can help us have a fun, safe summer by heeding these reminders.
Issy’s Pet Safety Tips for Summer
- Remember we need extra water in the warmer weather. Fresh, cool water, inside and outside, thank you!
- We might need a little help around the pool, on the boat or at the river, and anywhere else you think we might like to swim. We are not all great swimmers, fyi, and need to be supervised at the swimming hole.
- PLEASE do NOT leave us alone in the car, even for a few minutes, because the car heats up faster than you can believe. This is one of the leading causes of death for pets in the summer.
- Be careful that you don’t leave sunscreen, coolant, citronella candles, bug repellant or any other sweet smelling and interesting new ‘treat’ laying around. We love to get into new things even if they can make us sick, we can’t help ourselves!
- You might be watchful for ticks this summer. They do not itch like fleas so you may not notice them unless you check our coats regularly. There are lots of great tips online for proper tick removal and follow-up care.
Finally, I’ve come to understand two things: The secret to life is enjoying the ride (nose in the wind), and this from Buck Brannaman Horse Whisperer, “Blessed are the flexible for they won’t get bent out of shape.”