1. The following can be toxic to pets: Chocolate, raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, garlic, onion, alcohol, caffeinated beverages, bread dough, and sugar-free candy and gum containing the artificial sweetener xylitol.
2. Even a pet-safe treat can cause stomach upset if it is new to your pet. Offer only one of these at a time…ideally, a few days apart to better monitor the effects. If your pet becomes ill after eating a treat, it will be easier to trace the source and discontinue that treat. Also, check new toys for sharp edges, pieces that can be chewed off, or other potential hazards.
2. Monitor pets near fireplaces, wood-burning stoves, candles, and portable heaters. Also, don’t forget to check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are functioning properly. Space heaters, furnaces, and idling cars (in a garage) can increase the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in pets and humans.
3. In many cases, if your pet has consumed something toxic, warning signs will include gastrointestinal problems, such as vomiting and diarrhea. Other signs may include tiredness and lack of appetite, especially in cats that have eaten lilies. If your pet shows any of these signs, or if you think he or she has gotten into something dangerous but is not showing any signs yet, please call your vet right away. Treating your pet as soon as possible is essential!